Monday, December 21, 2015

Tomahawk

I've been developing an interest in bushcraft lately.    While on a recent excursion the members of a group I was with I became interested in a lightweight chopping tool.  Some internetting lead to reading about tomahawks.  The Cold Steel Trail Hawk seems to be pretty popular.  I ordered mine from that online retail giant that everyone loves to hate.


As you can see, it doesn't look like much from the factory.  With that said, I am happy that it fits in my Goruck.

The first thing that I did was take it apart, sand the polyurethane off the handle, and coat the head in paint stripper.  After that, the Elder Sign was added to the handle for protection from the Great Old Ones. 


After the paint was removed, I soaked the head in vinegar for two days to put a patina on the metal.  I did the same with my Mora Compantion.


After a light coat of stain and some tung oil on the handle, she's looking great.


No comments:

Post a Comment